Sunday, August 21, 2011

My rock and it's shimmering light.

It's sad when a building becomes your rock and not a human being.

Masjid Sultan Salahuddin Abdul Aziz Shah aka Masjid Negeri is my rock.

When my Mum passed away and my Dad grieved in the form of giving me a cold shoulder, I had no one. And no where to go.  When I decided to come back here I felt so lost and alone.  Everywhere had some sad memory attached to it.  Everywhere I looked pained me.  The only place free from pain was Masjid Negeri. For many years, even before going to KB, this mosque had been my sanctuary.

But alas, something had to happen .  When the mosque authorities decided to close down the classes of which I have been attending for 2 years, they broke that special link.

But like all real and strong links, it does not break completely.  How ever bad I feel  but as I drive into Shah Alam and see the first sight of this majestic monument during the day and its shimmering lights during the night, standing unchallenged  in  look and stature, it is still my favourite and magical  place.

Now Masjid Negeri has a new 'culture'.  It is no longer a place only for solumn business of worship, piety and knowledge,  it has bazaars in its vicinity. So it became half suq (market place) and half masjid.  I cannot say I like it this way but I have always like buzz.  And this place is buzzing at night, what more during the coming of Syawal.

I love to pray terawih here.  The booming of the Imam's beautiful recitation, the large congregation and the familiarity plus the  programmes for puasa month  which includes free bubur lambuk, berbuka,  moreh and also free sahur pulls people from all walks of life.  A new trend of picnic at the mosque for berbuka has also started. Families comes with baskets of food and mats and goes back after completing their  terawih. Last night on my way to the car park, I bought myself  mango juice which tasted so good.  Reminding me of a tradition of ours during umrah.  Mango juice after prayers.

By the way, its already the 22nd day of Ramadhan.  The most auspicious month of the year is  leaving us pretty soon. Lets make the best out of these 8 days.  Selamat Beramal!

No comments: