Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Endangered species.

My cousin Kak Ani is a person whom  from young is diligent. In every way.  She would do what ever that needs doing.  She would study when she has to, help her mother with house work, does all sorts of activities and hobbies and never seem to be tired.  My  congratulations to Mak Long who has produced such a fine woman.

I dropped into their household when I was 12.  The 3 years with them have a very strong hold on me. People rarely guessed I am half Kelantanese.  And my constant drop-ins these days to check on the old lady had brought back memories I thought no longer existed.  When Kak Ani came to break fast with Mak Long and I day before yesterday, being together preparing food  brought back memories of us, as girls,  helping Mak Long in the kitchen 36 years ago. Yes, 36. She was going for her training at a Maktab Perguruan and I was a student shipped off to Johor Bharu by my parents.

Kak Ani's  last vocation was as School Principle.  Out of  all 5 of her children,  except the youngest who is in medical school, they have obtained their Master's  or in the midst of their Masters or applying for their Masters.

If you see her, she does not have the airs of a successful person she is, for her heart has always been for her home and family. Slim and simple, always so proper.  She would find time to make delicious  kueh talams for tea .  Would 'sembat' her daughters' baju kurungs in the teacher's room.  Would make her own delicious biscuits for hari-raya, her capabilities are endless.

If I could be half like her.  As a single parent I am thinly spread out.  That is the excuse I give myself.

Probably if she is in my place, she would still be what she is today......

I feel like telling her I am so proud of her, dulu, kini dan selamanya. But shy to say it.  My cousin sister who has achieved so much, mainly a result of sheer diligence that I knew so well and admire so much,  since 36 years ago.

No comments: