Thursday, May 2, 2013

1 Malaysia

Being born in Kuala Lumpur, my life was already in a '1 Malaysia' setting without the propaganda. There was no call or promotion to unite with the other races because we were already united, and that was how things were.  We all lived together as neighbours and generally, people were just nice to each other.

There was Boo Leong and Boo Hin, there was Balan, the small Indian boy, there was Kimee, who had a Burmese mum and a Pekingese dog, there was handsome Zeezal, who had an English mum.  There was Art, a Malay boy whom I do not know his real name.  There was Sofia whom I met again when we are adults.

I remember going to their birthdays.  And they came to ours.  Things were not so private and individualistic as they are now.  We all played in the evenings.  There were no video games or even computers and our doors only close at night. If we close our doors during the day, it would mean we are not at home.

We moved alot and met alot of people along the way. All races and all kinds.

I see in my Mum's recipe book, recipe's from these childhood friend's mothers.  A proof  and evidence to our 1 Malaysia approach and lifestyle.

No comments: