Thursday, January 26, 2012

Baking

I love baking.  Unfortunately I cannot bake because I cannot eat what I bake, since I have to go on a diet, ingredients are expensive, and it is wastage not to eat what I bake.  Many limitations.  But I love to bake.

I started to bake when I was in Std 4.  I would peruse my mother's recipe book endlessly, just drooling over the captivating delicious pictures of all sorts of cakes, biscuits and pies.  I still remember the day I baked my first cake. Honey cake.  It turned out well.  I dare say so because even when my mum scolded me for actually baking a cake and not just imaginary baking when I play house, she had served some to my tuition teacher, Miss Procter. Miss Procter said that it was a good cake. For a 10 year old.  Then I was banned from baking.

When I moved back to KL, my baking utensils were among the selected things I brought back here. Other than my Arab books, my English books and my sewing machine. My few 'harta'.

Hajar has taken over the baking.  And if I let myself, I can start baking too. But baking but not eating is too difficult.

There is this cute bakery in the neighbourhood called Lil' Haven.  I befriended the owner, Su and have gone to buy her cakes many times, telling her how much I like her bakery, for her to keep it going and recommended my family and friends to buy from her.  We can eat there too. And if there is a vacancy at her shop, yours truly will be the first to apply.

No comments: