Friday, January 13, 2012

How I held up a line at Carrefour, Mid Valley

A good thing happened to me yesterday. We were shopping for the house and for our cookie orders.  It came up to quite alot.

So as I put my load at the cashier's counter, this nice cashier went out of his way to entitle me for 2 new year voucher which I actually did not know about.  I don't really read their catalogues, you see.  (I will from now).

For purchase up to RM268, you will get RM35 gift voucher, and for RM128, you will bet a RM15 gift voucher. He punched half of my things first, and asked me to pay the first portion and get the voucher.  Then he realised he  had to take away from the first portion,  in order to make up for the second portion and left the counter to call his supervisor  to unlock the cash register to amend the purchase.  After a few minutes, the supervisor came and the cashier took out paid things from my trolley.  Hajar was confused by all that is happening and slowly reversed to get away. Customers were leaving the line we were in. New ones came and asked, 'counter close ah?' The cashier was too focus to answer. Awkwardness was starting to creep in on me.

Punching the second portion, he said, 'tak cukup la kak'.  I called Hajar and said, 'Ja, cepat ambik Bliss tu dua', pointing at the chiller near by. She did.  Still not enough.  'Ja, ambik la yang Ja nak beli tadi tu". (meaning the bra that she put back) Not happy she went anyway. Many minutes passed.  Still not enough! Short of RM8. But we have coins! I started to rummage my purse and Hajar's purse for the coins, counting and panicking at the same time.  Oh boy, Oh boy.  The line was getting longer. They were rolling their eyes and giving me funny looks.  The next in line customer was getting impatient but was sharp enough to notice the problem.  I was running out of money! Major awkwardness. I was flustering underneath.

Then he said, 'punch my orange drink', participating in this 'race' of ours. We made it to the $128.  'I get lychee one you know'. I said okay and went to the service centre to collect my vouchers worth RM50. 50!!!! Can buy anything for RM50! Thats alot!

All this over,  lychee given to nice Chinese gentleman, tormented Hajar asked me, "Maaaaa, ma buat ape ni?' Still not getting the full picture of what happened. "Malu tau, kena pegi ambik bra'. I sympathised with her, knowing how easily she gets embarrassed.

"I was just seeing that the cashier got what he planned to do", I told Hajar." He went out of his way to get us 2 vouchers and I wanted to make sure he succeeded.  Kesian dia". Hajar was not convinced. " Betooooolll."

Its true, actually.  I was so taken by his nice gesture, that I endured the unbearable awkwardness holding up the line.  The voucher was second.

Its a good year.

No comments: