Saturday, December 26, 2009

Flowers of many colours



If you have read the book ' falling leaves' where the writer wrote about her life at the time when  she had underwent the whole cycle from birth to growing up, until the age where all her  experiences start to fall back onto the ground where it started , hense the title ' the falling leaves'. I am a bit younger than her but my leaves are starting to change colour too......so lets type away....

Imagine this.  A tree with a bark  and 3 big branches far apart.  One branch with purple flowers , one with blue, and one with gold. That is my family tree.

Before when I was young, to me,  this was a distorted tree, strange and confusing.  I wanted an oak tree or whatever local tree that is shady and normal for a family tree.

Yesterday I went to a wedding of a relative from one of these branches. My late mum for her own reasons had kept away from this side of her family so we hardly  meet.  Now so many years had passed and an invitation was thrown my way, I thought I would accept and meet them again. They were all in purple, so I put them on the purple branch. My grandmother remarried a Syed, so they are all syeds and syarifahs, with  the features such as brown hair and long noses that comes with that title. 

The gold branch, I always meet. Uncles and Aunts from my grandfather's side.  On the next coming wedding,  they all plan to wear gold, (gold??!) so I chose that colour for them. For one thing, they all like gold, being kelantanese who are very 'jangok' (well dressed),  and a few of my aunts have risen to high positiions in life, and probably use gold credit cards, so I shall put them on the gold branch.

And the blue branch belongs to us. My late mum is the only child of the marriage between Bibi Zaharah Bahram Khan to Daud bin Sulaiman, a teacher.. So since we all wore blue at Hassan's wedding, we are the blue flowered branch. The smallest of the three branches and well, lets say, had endured many a strong wind.

This is not uncommon, as divorce  runs in many families and some are laced with bickerings and feuds that  separate the families from coming together and cutting all ties. But, blood is always thicker than water, and  time and many things can make them meet  again in the future.

We read about family reunions that have so many members, its very endearing and wonderful. They are united and hopefully, living harmoniously together, the whole big bunch of them.

However your family is, an oak tree or a funny tree, when we meet, we know we are related and that is what blood ties is all about.

No comments: