Friday, January 29, 2010

staying within the circle

I listed down in my last post the things that we can do during our spare time which is permissable for a muslim.  I don't think we can be doing ibadat most of our time, can you? If you can, its very good.  Because I cannot, I believe in doing things which is fun but not prohibited in Islam.

We have to have a good balance of ibadat, tanggung jawab, silaturahim, riadah, ilmu, kebajikan and permissable worldly pursuits to be happy. Whatever Islam ask us to do is all good. It is how much you can do, and that depends on the individual.

On the highest scale are people who devote their life on the path of Allah. I know a few such people personally,  who has spent their  life, time and wealth on expanding the religion  of Allah or doing charitable causes or teaching religious studies. These are the true blue  A list people. (not the A list by western standards who are mostly celebrities)

Then there are people who have both, successful in their careers and personal lives and  fullfil their obligations as muslims. The B list. They are very respectable and powerful in our society and their names carry much weight.

Below these categories are a myriad of levels, each person with their story.  Some getting somewhere, some struggling, some still climbing, some learning from their falls and some starting all over.  And insyaAllah they will see the light at the end of the tunnel one day.

Its what we make out of our lives, whether it is easy or tough, that is significant  At the moment, I am far  away from the A and B list but I try, the best that I can, not to go againts the laws of Allah, by keeping it within the permissable circle. To tell you the truth, sometimes I do slip, then I crawl back in again. sigh...

No comments: