Saturday, January 9, 2010

The Long House (corrected)

Aishah rented a house for us in Kuching. All this while we stayed at a homestay that cost 50rm a day.  Since we come here very often,  we might as well rent. I call this house The Long House , synonymous to Sarawak but more so  because it is long. The owner renovated and extended it right to the end.

It has been a while since I lived in a terraced house. For the past  few years we have lived in flats on the 9th floor and on the 4th floor, the 4th floor being walk up. All the climbing of stairs, with groceries, with books, with luggages.  Never thought I could live on a landed house, eventhough in Kuching, Alhamdulilah.

It is a new housing area behind Kuching Airport, near the army camp. Our previous homestay was  at the other far end of Kuching, where there were mountains in the background.  No mountains here but there are alot of projects coming up, a huge one being  the Kuching Central, not far from this place. The nearest commercial area is Kota Sentosa , with big supermarkets, and important shops such as Pizza Hut and  KFC, and of course, clinics and market place.

My moving of houses is legandery. Lost track of how many houses I have moved to.   It is also a joke to many people. They will say, what? Again???  I have not stopped moving, as though I have not found a home. I always felt like a ship unable to find a harbour, sailing and sailing and sailing.  Luckily  I am  not the Titanic, or I would have  hit an iceberg and sank.

You see, I lived in 2 worlds. My dad was a liberal Singaporean (he has changed now)  and my mum was a staunch Kelantanese, and they eventually threw the towel.   And I am a by product of 2 very  different wave length,  2 different way of life, 2 different preference, 2 different plans and 2 different interest. I cannot help being mixed up! ( A better word for confused)

To describe clearly how it was, this is how. My late mother would ask me to follow her to study Tasauf  from this religious teacher and I did not because it is 'too high' for me. My dad asked me whether I want to attend  his good friend's son's wedding in Las Vegas (not to gamble)  and I did not, because Vegas does not give a good picture . See?

At 46 I am still finding my place. Pathetic kan?

No comments: