Monday, January 11, 2010

Arwah Mok

Let's not go there again.  You take a peep into your past and touch a sore point and it all comes gushing out like a broken pipe. Let's not go there again.

Whom do you find inspiring?  Allah makes people in many sizes.  Some large, some smallish, some just right, some petite.  But actually the size of the spirit is more important than the size of your physical. It is the spirit in you that determines whether you make it through.

I am lucky to be related to many people full of spiritedness. Sometimes their spirit serves as a pain to many  but there are more good than bad. My great grandmother was one.  When I came into this world, she was in her 60's but she slogged her remaining years, taking care of us, eventhough we had  maids. She had a bad knee and limped as long as I could remember.

Boy, she loves to nag.  The maids keep changing. She gave them a hard time with her wanting it the right way, or her way, more like it.  She belongs to the ancient school, therefore we don't really know how she wants it to be. So we get nagged all the time, even when we don't do anything.

But I love her very much. Her nagging was because she loved us too much.  I still remember when I was in primary school, I followed the neighbours to the beach to wait for the fishing boats in the evening. From far away,  I saw her limping on the road. I was very suprised she could walk so far and as soon as she got to the distance where we could see each other, she was waving for me to go to her.  Then we walked home together and eventhough I was mad I could not see the fishes, I felt bad for making her walk so far, and surrendered . I never went again.

She left me the ayat kursi.  She would read it everynight and blow at me in 4 directions, until it became ingrained. She could read the Quran and for a person who is born in 1890s, that is very impressive.

Arwah Mok or Mok, as we called her, never stopped until she was very frail. She never stopped to leave us uncorrected.  So, girls, be ready....

No comments: