Saturday, January 16, 2010

Memories of tabligh.

In those days there were 3 active Islamic Movements in our country that I know about. Al Arqam with its halal food products, Abim with the  participation of students and lecturers of higher education and Jemaah Tabligh.  Nasaruddin and I were following Jemaah Tabligh then.

I was 19 when I got married to Nasarudin who was already active doing dakwah work through this jemaah.  So I followed him. I have to tell you early that deep in my heart, I found it one of the best movements as it has nothing not to agree with. It was only me who was not ready for such a commitment and sacrifice. At that time, I did not have much in me. Nor now.

But we got to go to India! I got to meet wonderful Tablighi sisters in the jemaah. Women who gave their life to this work.  They devoted their time in dakwah, inviting people to hear about Islam, speaking on Islam, and dakwah through their actions as well, serving Allah and serving us in jemaah  tirelessly.  I met both rich and poor people in this line, both giving as much as they could.

Sad to say, I did not transformed into a role model like those that I have met. But the memories being in jemaah  left it's  imprint permanently.  Like the beauty of having many languages speaking about deen at one time, or the sincerity and friendship between those in this work or the help from Allah that happens when we help Allah's deen. 

I think, I am not good enough to be chosen.  For example, when we are on the road, when other sisters were doing their zikir, or reading the Quran, I will be the only one looking out of the vehicle and my head turning here and there to see the whole place. I am not serious enough, for one thing. Could not even observe the purdah properly.  But I cherished that chance to be with these truly wonderful  people who could do it.

I still remember soleha, sabrina, mariam apa, aminah apa,  dr apa,  raihana apa, shaheeda apa, iqbal apa , mrs chowdery and her daughters and many many others I met in this work.   May Allah bless them in every way. Amin. I wonder if they remember me after all these years.

No comments: