Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cards

Reading again Khalil Gibran literature got me rumaging in my brain whose else poem I had read in the past.  (Think, Think) There is a name...still vague...a name made out of a quality...(think, think somemore)....then I got it! Patience Strong.

Patient Strong's poems filled my school days when  cards were given for birthdays and poems were written in autographs.  Beautiful cards in envelopes, with a poem, often by Patience Strong were given as a gesture that you are remembered on your birthday. Nowadays wishes are greeted via sms.  After a few days, or few hours, it is deleted. But a card  is a tangible wish with beautiful words and illustrations that can be kept for a long time.

I surfed the net to find her poems but got only a few.  Her poems are really sweet and meaningful that touched our hearts and became mementoes we gave one another.  Here is one I share with you.

The saddest word in all the language is the word Goodbye.
Pause before you speak the word that maybe you'll regret.
Though perhaps you weren't to blame - forgive it and forget.
Wait before you cause a storm that wrecks your peace of mine.
Life is brief and love is precious - and its hard to find -
so never risk destroying it by something done or said.
Think before you spoil your chance of happiness ahead.

No comments: