Monday, June 27, 2011

hamper making

It started with my sister Idah  having to make hampers for an office function.  If both of us have something in common, it is the love of making hampers.  Maybe because we both love presents, to give and to receive.

We made 50 small packs in pretty boxes with ribbons which we filled with chocolates, chocolate chip cookies, 2 coasters and a pack of sweets. Within the range of RM15 and I do not think we made any money. All the going round the round many supermarkets to find things nice but cheap. We argued for choice since good things to me means wholesome healthy food, whereas for Idah, packaging is everything. She puts back whatever I take from the shelves.  Then we came to a compromise, good things and good packaging and cheap which became more difficult to find.  Finally, low profit but satisfied with our little hamper of something the receivers would appreciate and what we would want for ourselves.

Then we made 5 bigger ones.  More goodies to put in.

I name our hampers. ( I name everything) 'Sweet as you',' Everlasting Love' (which I gave Bah and Man, wink, wink).Today I made 'Tea for two' and God knows what I will come up with tomorrow.

Nowadays, when I see something cute and sweet, thinking it would look good in my  hamper, I would buy. The other day, when Shaz came to visit on her break, on short notice, I put these cute foodies in a cute bag for her to bring back to Kuching.  Threw in a Lovely Lace candle too. And a painted enamel box.

Now I cannot stop.  I started copying the things I see at the shop.Snapping their pictures with my not-so- latest Nokia.  Buying tiny containers and small doilies to put the goodies in.  Must taste good.  Small in quantity but big in taste.

It takes my mind away from the problems I am facing.

Just now when I delivered one hamper to my brother for Father's Day (because he is, without a doubt, a good father), he wants me to make few more for him to give his neighbours for Ramadhan.

Hihihi, I am so happy.

No comments: