Saturday, October 13, 2012

Early morning people

Since I started my lil food business with Lil Haven, slowly I have transformed into an early riser or early bird.  Having to help Hajar with her nasik lemak and to cook my meehoon, we wake up early. Much earlier than usual.  A good habit inculcated.

I guess l like to shop fresh.  I like to buy the ingredients just before I cook it.  This would could qualify me a meticulous cook or a last minute person with bad time planning. But that is how it is and our food last long into the evening.  So, as earlier as 6.30am I would be at Balaji, the Indian sundry shop to wait for the lorry that brings the fresh produce from the wholesale market.

Around me, I would see the men walking home from the mosque, the mothers waiting with their school going children for the school bus, the other early birds buying things for their house hold at Balaji. All sorts of   people walking to the bus stops to get to work, or going into their cars,  the other stall menders with many kinds of tasty breakfast dishes waiting for customers ( and here I am, waiting to buy the prawns for my meehoon to sell in an hour).

Then I went 1 step further by going to Old Town wet market, the biggest market in PJ at 6.00 am.  When all is dark and still asleep, the market was brightly lit and lively, bustling with all the buying and selling activities. To tell  you the truth, there are two places that I love to be at, the mosque, and the market. Market, not supermarket.  This is not a good thing since one is the opposite of the other but I love to see nature's produce. The abundance of vegetables, poultry, seafood, beancurds, fruits and flowers.  It makes my heart expands to its seems. Hihi.  What a boring person I am.   Maybe food is a quiet passion I did not encourage.

By evening I find my body extremely tired and my eyes close pretty early. Its a new clock in my head. And so is the gusto for cooking.  

No comments: