Tuesday, September 11, 2012

business, raya, engagement, birthday

So many things to write about.

Last Ramadhan I took a stall at Amcorp Mall and sold hari raya cookies.  Before this, my means of business would be selling Hajar's choc chip cookies at the flea market  during weekends, but this time, something happened that calls for a diversion from the problem, has me jumping into the small timer, one-women show  business for a whole month.  All in all, the experience was quite valuable for I have discovered in me, that I do have some natural aptitude for business.  I could do it again.

I met nice people in this line, old timers whose advice I would keep.  I learnt hands-on the know-hows of selling. The dos and don'ts but most of all, the realities of it all. My strengths and weaknesses, peoples' wants and tendencies, about money, about marketing.  The way to promote your product, your ability to persuade people to buy and what it takes.  Shyness, has to be extinguished. You need thick skin for business, to bring or push your stuff to your customers or if you are not,  the showroom way would be more suitable, wait for the customers to come.  For me the latter, since I am new at this and my skin is still thin.  What ever your style, drive is number one rule to sell.

Now since this interest in business has been tapped, I would be selling this and that from now on.  I have keropok in my car boot if anybody wants.  $7.50 per pack.

Then hariraya was near and I have to pack up my table earlier since I needed time to prepare.  Most of the days of Ramadhan I was at the mall. I had to get ready the hariraya stuff.  Tumblers for the cookies, new table cloth, new curtains etc.  To make sure we have everything that makes it hariraya. This year,  I also have an additional member to the family, Picipu's husband, Hafiz Firdaus.

Hariraya was quiet.  My brothers spent it with their wives' side and on 2nd day, Abang and whole family set  off to Gold Coast Australia for their holidays, so it was just me and my sister and a very quiet KL.  It brought a lump to my throat early that morning to be so devoid of the festive air and merriment since here up in Bukit Kerinchi, on hariraya, there is not much movement. It is a good thing that as a city girl without a kampung, I am use to such a sorry hariraya.  This is all that we have girls, so, cheer up and be grateful. Then things picked up. Relatives came, we went to their houses, and we played fireworks.  I was grateful, I am grateful and will always be grateful.

This raya also had me cat-sitting for Kak Rosie who has a kampung. I agreed to look after a mother cat with 4 extremely cute just born kittens, whom I named Meg, Carly, Emily, Nikki and Rocco from the show My Kitchen Rules on Astro Diva channel.  These cats was a balm to my soul since I was going through some sadness.  While others raised their brows at me having to go to feed the cats and on the way back, feed other cats in this area since most of the eateries were closed, I was happy to see such cute creatures twice a day.


After the first few days, I had to regain my energy for Mimi's engagement on the 1st of Sept.  We began  preparing for the whole kenduri.  Many things to plan, many things to do.  I must acquire Herculean strength for such an auspicious family event.  My baby girl has been plucked to be married.  The 3rd of such event this year. Third!!!

Here we go again, the guests, the 'gubahan', the caterers, the door gifts, the room, the 'baju'. Mummy must take out her magic wand again and poof everything to be in its place.

It turned out a happy and beautiful event with the groom-to-be whom I know since he was 15, comes  grinning to the kenduri,  'sedondon' when customarily , he does not attend, but represented.  These two childhood sweethearts were too adorable to be penalized, so we all just enjoyed ourselves, celebrating their union and future marriage, InsyaAllah.


Four days later on the 5th September, Bah came to pick us up for lunch with me forgetting it was her birthday.  We went to Mid Valley, had lunch and due to post-kenduri tiredness, bought 15 types of pretty and yummy looking food as we window shop till night.  Like what? Like macaroons, durian moshi, little pancakes, creampuffs, Auntie Anne's choc dip, baked sweet potato to name half.   Buy one and share among 3 of us  so that we minimize the size of our intake.

Still tired and so much more to live for.











No comments: